What I do, What I feel, What I am

Monday, September 29, 2008

iPhone Resurrected - Rising from the water!!

She was not a phoenix because phoenix rises from the ashes. She was a dolphin !!! She rose from the water :). For people who don't get the context, please read http://prakashvis.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html. (two entries below :))
After what happened on Aug 22, Saravanan was nervous but Venu was crest fallen :). So we decided that we need to look for alternatives - to repair the existing one or get a replacement. We found that the only hope for these kind of unlocked and wet (:)) iPhones, is that upon paying an additional $200, one gets a replacement. So my iPhone went back to the US (with efforts from Saravanan et all). Thanks to Venu for his diligence in getting the replacement after a lot of to and fro and going thru some more hiccups in getting the new one unlocked etc. etc. etc. The new "she" came to India on Sep 24, 2008 and this time Dinesh got it from the same office on Sep 25 evening. I got to lay my hand on her on the same night (no pun meant!! :)).
There were definitely few more hiccups. Saturday, was the day when I explored her fully (no pun meant again - after all you can't remove the case :)). Firstly, I had to move all my contacts from Sim to the iPhone. I din't know that there was an application called SIMport in iPhone itself. Like an a** (something bad meant!!), I was trying to type all the contacts.

Later when I discovered the application, I din't realize I had loaded my friend's SIM and imported all his contacts. Here I was again, deleting all his contacts one by one (not an a** this time, coz, there is no way one can delete all contacts in one go in an iPhone!!).
Next, my iPhone was not getting detected in the iTunes but was detected as a digicam device in the PC. The whole day we googled and eventually found the following procedure from this link http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/1363091-1.html.
The procedure which worked for me :)
If the iPhone is not detected in iTunes but gets detected as digital camera in Windiws PC (XP).
1. Search for usbaapl in the C:\WINDOWS system folder. Typically it will be in C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\ folder.
2. Search for the "Apple iPod" device in "Device Manager" from "My Computer->Properties". If the devices is recognized as digicam, then you can find it under "Imaging devices"
3. Right click on the device and say "update driver". This will open the New hardware window. - Check the ‘Install from a list or specific location’ then click ‘Next’ - Check ‘Search for the best driver in these locations’. Un-check - ‘Search removable media’ and check ‘Include this location in the search’.In the text box copy the path obtained in step 1.
The iPhone will now be detected in the iTunes. :) A thousand thanks to the person who posted this. 1001 thanks to rajeev, who kept the energy going the whole day and kept on googling, up/down graded iTunes software etc.Now, I have it and am enjoying my experience with her, showing her off (just take it literally again ;)).
I just realized, how connected a world this is!! Between Aug 22 and September 22, there were three trips that my iPhone made between California and Bangalore. My God!!
Cheers!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on ur new iPhone..