What I do, What I feel, What I am

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bhramaram - Movie Review

I watched the Malayalam movie called "Bhramaram" on Monday. Well, some how the term "Malayalam movie" gets associated only with one class of movies :D. I do not know what got such a reputation to an otherwise quality industry. Malayalam industry (and Bengali), easily would have produced the most number classics and quality movies in Indian cinema (If someone wants to dispute this, please do so with facts!!).
This incidentally happens to be the first Malayalam movie that I watched in a theatre (though I 've watched many otherwise) and I'm really happy that I watched this one.

The movie is about how an incident in the childhood of some one, distorts and causes irreparable damage to his life. The movie opens in a light environment without giving any clue of what is to follow. The hero (played by Mohan Lal), portrays his lighter side. The first half more or less continues in the same tone except for towards the fag end. The initial part of the second half has the hero showing glimpses of what he is really and the well written script leads up to a stunning climax leaving you with a heavy heart!! I do not want to reveal anything more and make you suffer the way I did by knowing the entire story before hand. It is the screenplay and the climax along with Mohan Lal that keeps you hooked to the seat in an otherwise plain film without much of entertainment and commercial elements!!

Mohan Lal has carried the movie on his shoulders, literally. As one can see, EVERY SHOT ends up in his face, which throws the most suited expression for that scene. He is really a gifted actor and to me he is the second best actor in India (Kamal Hasan, slightly ahead of him!!) :).
In addition to all these, special mention is required for the music director - Mohan Sithara. Not for the songs (there are only 2 or 1.5 perhaps!) but for the background score, which turns out to be one of the movie's biggest plus. The child who comes as the hero's friend's kid has also done well.

Bhramaram is recommended for those who like good cinema. It's definitely not for those who look at movies just as an entertainment. You will definitely have the satisfaction of having watched a nice movie.
Cheers!!

No comments: