What I do, What I feel, What I am

Friday, April 01, 2005

Eating Habits

This is a bit lengthy, but interesting.

Of late I had faced many interesting incidents with this V-NV (Vegetarian - Non Vegetartian) food habits. Especially the recent surge of Eastern Journeys I underwent have given me experiences that I would prefer to share with you people.

Firstly, I will tell you about the veggie Sandwich that I get in the SubWay outlet close to my client's office, where I normally have my lunch or dinner. The sandwich is called Veggie Delite. I am really trying to find out what's so delightful about this stuff !!! It is bun filled with stuffs that only cattle will enjoy. To me that sandwich is a human rights violation !!! As a human being am i not entitled for something which is baked / boiled / fried or at least heated ? But I should admit that the soup and cookies I get there are good and that's the reason I keep going there.
I can't blame these people. For them vegetarian is something totally harmless - food to be eaten when someone is sick. But different people here have different definitions for vegetarian. When I was dining at the hotal where I stay, I asked for vegetarian fried rice. The guy asked me whether onion is allowed. I felt that was a sensible question and said "yes". Then came the stunner !!!! He asked me whether pork is allowed ??!!@&* To be frank, pork is the last thing on earth that I will categorize as Veg. I could not understand what made him put pork and onion at the same level :-). I answered him with a pathetic "No". I ended up getting a fried rice with some pink things on it resembling shrimp. Then he explained me it is made of soya bean just to give an NV feeling !!!!!

This one is really good. Happened in the flight between Bangkok and Bangalore last time. It was time to eat and the air hostess asked me whether I want pork + rice or prawns + rice. I could not answer. Just said her I am a veggie. She perused thru her passenger list, cross checked with another air host and triumphantly declared "we have no vegetarians on board". I felt ignored and less important than a piece of paper :-(. The only reason why I was not harsh on her was I din't want to earn the hatred of a beautiful creature ;). I think she also had some soft corner for me :). She searched for 15 mins and gave me a veg meal which i really enjoyed !! Three cheers to Thai airways air hotess' !!!

We have a lot of funny arguments over our lunch table in my office where we have a group which loves plants like anything, they never harm them ;-). In one such discussions I said I am a oo-lacto-vegetarian. That is - I can take egg and milk. Bang came the reply from the other group... I am a porko- muttono - chickeno oo- .... vegetarian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really envy the NVs ;-)

ok.....it's time to have a veggie delite !!

3 comments:

Balaji Gururajan said...

hey did ur check ur posterior position.. i sincerely expect some growth resembling tail ;-)

Anuj said...

Hey this was a real good one buddy !!!!

Venkateshwar Sahai said...

I must say, I am at a better place than yours!! Here I get real good Indian food for veggie!! Beat that. There are just lots of Indian restaurants here. I am loving it :)